Tuesday, June 7, 2011

How to: Not live in a bomb shelter

Do you ever wake up and ask yourself how the heck a tornado managed to fly through your house and ravage your room. If your like me, your personal space can sometimes look as if WW3 was fought over a dispute of your land. My room currently does not look like the Trinity nuclear test site, which is usually the vibe it gives off, but there is still quite a bit of clutter laying around. As for my car, it is a complete disaster. My Ford ThunderChicken looks like a suitcase that was rummaged through and robbed by a homeless man. Honestly, that man could still be living in there for all I know. It has been in this state of disaster since I moved out of my UTK dormitory two months ago! Boy do I need to learn how to clean and get organized. Well luckily, with a little determination and a lot of ingenuity I (and hopefully you as well) will be able to conquer this messy space syndrome.

I'll explain my plan by starting with a quick question.  Who likes losing money? Better yet, who likes losing money because of their own stupidity or laziness? I think just about everyone will hold the same opinion to this question. Here is another question. Who would like to gain money because of someones stupidity and laziness while helping that person at the same time? Well my proposed plan for better organization involves turning the root of all evil (I know the bible says its the love of money, not just money) into a blossom of potential growth. In this case the thorny vine will actually produce a rose and that rose is a benificial organizational habit. All you need to do is find a brother, sister, or just a friend that loves to have a bit of healthy (or sometimes not so healthy) competition with you. Find that kid who shows his love by beating on you and then propose an offer to him. Tell him that you intend on keeping your room clean and that if you fail in doing so, it could mean a little money in their pockets. Tell them that at the end of the night, if your room isn't clean and they call you out on it, you will pay them 5 or 10 dollars. Money is the PERFECT incentive in this case. I promise you that it will be a very sad sight to see that money leave your pocket because you didn't spend the 15 mins required to pick up the day's mess.

This system is actually a major improvement on having the standard accountability partner for 2 reasons. First, no accountability partner will ever forget to check up on you when they have the potential to earn a little cash. Second, you will hardly ever forget to keep up with your crap. The first time you forget and have to pay, you will probably be cussing yourself out and that is good motivation!! Well as long as you keep your self esteem while doing it. This system isn't just useful in helping your organization skills. It can help develop many beneficial habits. Currently, I have my brother hounding me every night trying to collect money for a failure to keep up with my personal diary (more on this in another blog post) and to practice my Spanish every day. I tell you what...I so far have not had to owe him anything. Now that is a good system.

No comments:

Post a Comment